Concept of Museum
I have always believed that beauty can be created by the harmony of dissimilar things. I had hoped that creating this museum with an avant-garde architect would result in a new kind of space seen nowhere else. And that is exactly what is happening. A brand-new type of space is appearing before our eyes, one I have come across nowhere else in the world. Here surrounded by the nature of Karuizawa, a popular destination for escaping the heat of summer, we are building a museum full of light. My works are displayed by date, here in this ideal space. I will be most delighted if many visitors come to the museum and experience the feelings of beauty, courage and the power of life, and make new discoveries for themselves.
Photo: Kazuya Yamaguchi
Hiroshi Senju was president of Kyoto University of Art & Design from 2007 to 2013, presently professor of Kyoto University of Art & Design, director of Koyodo Museum, president of joint education system of Kyoto University of Art & Design and Tohoku University of Art & Design, member of masters committee of L'ÉCOLE of Van Cleef & Arpels, and advisor of The Tokugawa Museum.
Hiroshi Senju website
- Born in Tokyo,Japan.
- Graduated Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Ｍusic,BFA.
- Completed his MFA,Graduate School of Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. Graduation work purchased by Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music.
- Completed classes needed to obtain Ph.D.at the Graduate School of Fine Arts of the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. Thesis work purchased by the University of Tokyo.
- Received an Honorable Mention at the 46th La Biennale di Venezia, Italy as the first Asian to do so.
- The 6th Gwangju Biennale,Gwangju,Republic of Korea.
- Paintings on fusuma at Shofuso,Philadelphia,USA.
- Art House Project Ishibashi,Benesse Art Site Naoshima,Kagawa,Japan.
- Art direction for APEC Japan,2010,Yokohama,Japan.
- The 5th Chengdu Biennale,Chengdu,China.
Opening of the Hiroshi Senju Museum Karuizawa.
- The 56th La Biennale di Venezia,Italy.The work purchased by the Southern Branch of The National Palace Museum,Taiwan.
- Added to art collection of world heritage site Yakushiji Temple.